Use this October Home Maintenance and Safety Checklist to get your home ready for the change in seasons and to protect your family. You love your family and your home – protect both and you’ll enjoy a beautiful space for years to come with your loved ones.
Be proactive and take small steps to protect yourself and your loved ones. Fall asleep rest assured you took steps to ensure a safe home for your family.
- Replace your furnace air filter. Clean your furnace/ac unit, air ducts and replace any other air filters throughout your home. There are many HVAC companies that’ll come to your home for a nominal fee and clean and service your heating and ac unit.
- Clean gutters, downspouts and clear blockages. This is a leading cause of water damage to a home. The water gets blocked and causes damage to the exterior landscape, building and flooding can occur as a result of the blockage.Any type of activity on the roof can pose danger.
- Check fire extinguishers and have a safety kit. October is fire safety month. Now is a good time to have a fire safety and evacuation conversation with your family. Check to make sure your fire extinguishers work. If you don’t have one now is a good time to get one or a few.
- Clean out dryer lint. Dryer fires account for 2,900 annual fires. Try and get in the habit of cleaning this every time you wash. Failure to remove line from the dryer is the leading cause of dryer fires.
- Clean your fireplace. Make sure it’s clean with no debris inside. Birds love to nest in it so make sure it’s clear. Consider having a chimney sweep come in.
- Stow the hose and winterize your sprinkler system. Get your outdoor water system winterized before freezing temperatures arrive and cause damage. Put your hose in the garage and winterize your irrigation system.
- Seal your outdoor surface areas. Those small gaps and cracks on your home’s exterior can impact both your heating bill and cause water damage.
- Clean and protect outdoor furniture. Wash and protect your outdoor furniture and appliances. The elements can cause further damage.
- Aerate and fertilize your lawn. Lawn fall preparation is key to a healthy upcoming spring and summer lawn.